Broughton St Mary's Parish Church, 12 Bellevue Crescent, Edinburgh, EH3 6NE
Home
News
Worship
Groups
Minister
History
Room Hire
What's On
Contact Us Inside Out
 
 

Organ

The church organ was built in 1882 by one of the leading British organ builders of the Victorian era, Thomas C. Lewis of London. Lewis built in a conservative style for the period, making instruments with bright and clear choruses strongly influenced by the Classical German school of organ building as well as the more Romantic French style.

The organ has survived to this day almost entirely unaltered, a significant factor in the award of a £30,000 grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund for major restoration work in 2002. This work was carried out by Rushworth and Dreaper of Edinburgh, a firm which has maintained the organ over a long period.

The British Institute of Organ Studies

The organ in Broughton St Mary's Parish Church, Edinburgh, Scotland has been awarded a certificate Grade 1 in recognition of it being an outstanding instrument by T.C.Lewis 1882, in original condition.

It is therefore listed in the Institute's Register of Historic Pipe Organs as being an instrument of importance to the national heritage and one deserving careful preservation for the benefit of future generations.

Church Organ
 
   
Copyright © 2016 | Edinburgh: Broughton St Mary's Parish Church (Church of Scotland) | Charity SC012642